The Bay Area’s high quality of life, cultural landscape and wealth of top tier universities and graduate programs attract a highly educated and talented workforce key to a world-class professional support industry.
- In 2015, Stanford University tied with MIT for first place in engineering with UC Berkeley and the California Institute of Technology coming in at 3rd and 4th.
- All schools have nearly perfect retention rates as well as extremely high six-year graduation rates.
- Two universities, Stanford University and University of California – Berkeley are ranked within the top four engineering schools.
- The Bay Area also hosts top-rated law programs, including Stanford (2nd) and Berkeley (8th). They also offer two, top-ten rated Business graduate institutions: Stanford University (1st) and UC Berkeley’s Haas (7th).
- For Medical school research programs, Stanford is ranked 2nd with UCSF ranked 3rd in the nation.
As of May 2015
(Updated June 2016, Latest Available)
Resident Labor Force: 548,004
Employed: 528,074 (3.8% Unemployment)
Annual Visitors: 18.01M
Annual Visitor Spending: $10.67B
Population Between 20-54 Years of Age: 55.75%