Environmental & Cleantech
- San Francisco is ranked as the nation’s best metro area for Clean Tech Leadership in 2017, per Clean Edge. This year marks the fifth consecutive year that San Francisco has achieved the number one ranking.
- Between 2014 through 2016, San Francisco was ranked 2nd in the country for clean-tech investment, innovation, and workforce per Clean Edge.
- There are currently over 200 cleantech enterprises in San Francisco.
- Number of clean tech companies in San Francisco: 225
- Number of clean tech venture capital deals (2014-2016) in San Francisco: 380
- Number of clean energy patents granted in the San Francisco Bay Area between 2011 and 2016: 3,946
- San Francisco has been a leader in green energy building projects. In 2016, 1,072 LEED certified projects and 857 Energy Star buildings and plants were built in San Francisco.
- In 2015, the Greater San Francisco Bay Area was home to 62,192 energy efficiency jobs.
- In 2015, there were 113,020 advanced energy jobs in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Of these advanced energy jobs, 17,760 or 16% were in San Francisco county. The advanced energy jobs in the greater San Francisco Bay Area are divided into:
- Advanced electricity generation: 30,515
- Advanced energy efficiency: 62,161
- All other advanced energy technologies (advanced fuels, advanced transportation, and advanced grid): 20,344