Social & Digital Media
- The San Francisco Bay Area is the home of many key players in the Social & Digital Media industry. Twitter, Zynga, Pinterest and Twitch are a few global brands who have their headquarters in San Francisco.
- 19 out of 100 of the largest tech employers in San Francisco are in the social and digital media industry. Twitter is the biggest employer in the media industry, closely followed by LinkedIn and Lucasfilm Ltd..
- 4 out of the 15 most active social platform companies are headquartered in San Francisco.
- Of the five companies in the Bay Area with the highest number of employees, three are social media companies, namely Yahoo, Facebook and LinkedIn.
- In the “2014 Cost of Connectivity” report, San Francisco was ranked 20 in the list of the top 24 cities worldwide with fastest internet speeds beating London and Berlin.
- In Q4 2016 venture capital financing amounted to $3.92 billion in the Bay Area of which $621 million was in San Francisco. The total number of startups in digital media receiving VC funding was 14.
- San Francisco State University is considered one of America’s university leaders in the area of digital media.
- San Francisco is considered the birthplace of new media; its South Park neighborhood houses some of the most innovative new technology companies in the world (including Dropbox, iOffer and Prowl).