Social & Digital Media
- San Francisco is the home of many key players in the Social & Digital Media industry. Twitter, Zynga, LinkedIn, Yahoo, Pinterest and Twitch are a few global brands who have their headquarters in San Francisco.
- 15 out of 100 of the largest tech employers in San Francisco are in the social and digital media industry. Lucasfilm Ltd. is the biggest employer in the media industry, closely followed by Twitter and Zynga.
- From a list of the 10 fastest growing tech companies in San Francisco in 2015, 3 companies were in the social and digital media industry. The most notable company on the list, Rocket Fuel, grew almost 550% in 2013.
- 3 out of the 10 most active social platform companies are headquartered in San Francisco. These are Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn.
- In the “2014 Cost of Connectivity” report, San Francisco was ranked 20 in the list of the top 24 cities worldwide with fastest internet speeds beating London and Berlin.
- In Q4 2015 venture capital financing amounted to 4.23 billion in the Bay Area of which $621 million in San Francisco. The total number of start ups in digital media receiving VC funding was 32.
- San Francisco State University is considered one of America’s university leaders in the area of digital media.
- San Francisco is considered the birthplace of new media; its South Park neighborhood houses some of the most innovative new technology companies in the world (including Dropbox, iOffer and Prowl).